Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2005

The Artist's Way Check In - Intro

Well...here it is Sunday...time to do the first check in...

Morning pages I think is going to be an issue with me...not sure I like the statement that the author makes "Morning pages are nonnegotiable"...in fact make that that I know I don't like it...seems arrogant...I thought Picasso's statement (quote from the margin on page 17) makes more sense - "Painting is just another way of keeping a diary"...I may end up sketching my 'morning' pages on the days I actually have time to do them...most days, they probably aren't going to be 'morning' pages at all - afternoon or evening pages is probably the best I can handle... Also, I work in what I consider to be an artistic field...I frequently do the shift to right brain mode to create solutions, so I don't feel like I have a violently active Censor telling me I can't that I have to slay...

Artist Date - gonna go off to the Dollar Store and find something that can be repurposed or embellished...and then go home and play...

Filling the Well - I love this time of year (well, except for the fools who go overboard decorating for Halloween...a pet peeve)...There are a couple of spots on my drive to work that are really interesting and inspiring. My favorite is a gap between two hills..when you get to the bottom, you can see a lake, some grazing cows, green grass (its green again, we had rain last week!) and if I am really lucky, the sky is blue with puffy little white clouds - makes me feel good just to be able to see it... Occasionally, when I am driving into LA with DH and it happens to be clear of smog, we can see the Downtown buildings far off in the distance - looks like a castle on a hill with the buildings being the crenilated towers..of course the whole illusion is shattered once you GET to Downtown though (LOL)...

By the by...I must remind myself: do not read The Artist's Way right before going to sleep! It was like my brain was revved up and working overtime!

3 comments:

sophie said...

I resist the notion of mandatory morning pages, too, but yet when I CHOOSE to do them daily, I know that I experience better flow in my life.

That Gap you described sounds beautiful . . . I hope you will take a photo and share it with us.

Debra Dixon said...

Don't quote me but I think the Artist Way is about letting go of resistance so good energy can flow in.

The Morning Pages are really pretty easy once you get going with them.

Teri said...

I'm with you.. I wrote morning pages yesterday at lunch. I get my poor old butt up at 4:50 every morning for work. The last thing I care about is allowing myself the time to write. If anything for this doesn't work for me, it will be the pages..