Pages

Friday, November 11, 2005

A Walk in the Park

Took my artist child to the park - No..no camera and the lighting was kinda yucky (we are having a bit of liquid sunshine in So Cal), so I will have to hope you can 'see' the park through my description...

This is a smallish park but its one big drawing point is a duck pond in the middle. The main part of the park is nestled into a hollow. The duck pond is surrounded by wide concrete walkways with occasional gazebos for picnicing. At one end of the pond there is a waterfall making that lucious musical sound that waterfals make. Close to the waterfall is a series of graded 'steps' that make a wide staircase down to the edge of the water. From the parking lot, I walked down a narrow staircase that opened onto a brightly colored childrens gym. Since the park is below street level, its is mostly filled with park sounds - the waterfall, children laughing, dogs barking and the ducks quacking...There were even a couple of pairs of Canada geese walking stately around the pond. As I was walking down the stairs, a cute, fat, bright-eyed brown bunny hopped across the stairs and vanished into the undergrowth on the hillside. Since it was too darkish to take pictures even I had rememebered the camera, I decided not to do the bubbles and save them for another day. We (artist child and I) gathered a large bouquet of red, yellow, orange and green leaves...It was quite amazing the range of colors that are possible in sugar maple leaves.

When I spied that there were ducks in the park, I wanted to add this place to my list of possibles for feeding the ducks - another possible artist date...but...there in big bold letters were signs...NO FISHING ALLOWED and DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS...at least there wasn't a KEEP OFF THE GRASS sign...

OH, and the clouds broke up just a bit before sundown so the sky was all pink and blue...love that!

2 comments:

Jane Ann said...

Suze, I could "see" your park very well! Sounds like it refreshed you. Make that "filled your well" a bit.

Debra Dixon said...

I really need to get out more. . .