Pages

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Artist's Way Check In - Week Eleven

Chapter Eleven Check In

This week was mostly about success as an 'artist' - I don't think this just means a commercial or monetary success, but emotional as well...and keeping the enthusiasm as we reach creative plateaus. There must always be a bigger goal - for if we actually 'make it there', strangely enough we will find that 'there' disappears. Julia likens the artist to a shark, which must keep moving or drown.

Check In:
1. Did pages every day this week...some were a bit truncated (mostly after the root canal...which kinda wiped me out). I did kinda recommend doing the pages to DH, but so far he isn't buying into it.
2. Artist Date was building the lap hoop with my Dad.
3. No major synchronicities jump out at me...but I did keep seeing images of a particular animal that I want to incorporate into a future project.
4. I am more convinced than ever that the Artist Child is actually the right side of the brain. Will be exploring this more over the next few months as I work thru the Drawing book. Any technique for shifting to the creative mode is welcome.

Did a bunch of the tasks but they are pretty hard to share! I did get the 'Creativity Notebook' but haven't finished working on that task...its a long one!

3 comments:

Rian said...

Suze~ interesting observation you made about the emotional aspect of success. I hadn't looked at it that way.

One of the interesting things about doing this work as a group has been seeing how each of us interprets it. We each bring something unique to the table and get something different from the book.

I'm also intrigued by your description of Artist Child as Right Side of Brain. Interesting concept! I can certainly see the left side as Parental Logic...

Jane Ann said...

I found your interpretation interesting too, Suze. To paraphrase Browning, "Ah, but a woman's reach should exceed her grasp, Or what's a heaven for?"

Jules said...

I just found the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" in a stack that my mother gave me when she moved a few months ago. I had forgotten about this book, which I read ages ago, maybe in middle school. I am going to start working through it. Thanks for mentioning it.