Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Artist's Way Check In - Week Twelve

Final Check In for The Artist's Way book

Wow...Cannot believe its really the last check in for this book...I am so looking forward to starting on the next book!

Tasks:
1. I don't think I HAVE any resistance, angers or fears about going on from here. I am looking forward to the continuing process...
3. Core negative beliefs...Didn't think I had them in Week One...still don't think I have them...
4. Mended a sock for DH...
5. No languishing plants that need repotting...Could use a few more new plants but need to get more potting soil for the pots before I ask my DM if I can have some more cuttings.
6-7. The God Jar reminds me of a story I wrote many years ago about a boy and his troubles. It is titled "Thomas and the Trouble Tree" in which Thomas learns to write or draw his troubles on slips of bright colored paper and tie them to the branches of his 'trouble tree' - the theory being that you give the troubles up to the tree and it will hold them for you so you no longer have to think so hard about them - when you are ready to deal with the problem, go get it back off the tree, but you might just find its blown away in the breeze... I mentally do this with the tree in the back yard..and have for years...so I didn't think I actually needed to create a God Jar...

Check In:
1. Did pages 6/7 days. I shall be continuing to do them.
2. Artist date was poking around in a real art store...I was looking for a Niji waterbrush but they did not carry them, sigh...Have to find another store that does. Artist Child is fascinated by the concept of the waterbrush...(yeah...I know I COULD order them over the internet but I want to 'see' one in person first...)
3. The author of the book that I got at the signing the other week was on a TV program and my DM taped it for me...
4. Continuing with the DOTRSOTB - I picked up the workbook the other day and read the intro...She (Betty Edwards) says the hardest part is finding time to draw (and by extension any other artistic endeavors)... So you must trick the left side analytical brain into letting you find the time..She recommends the 'two minute miracle' technique...So, if you say to yourself 'I am not really going to draw, I am just going to turn to the next page and look at the next exercise' and then 'I am not really going to draw, just make a few marks on the page' then 'I am not really going to draw, I am just going to sketch a bit of the outline' and so on...You will find the right side can take over, time will pass with you unawares and you end up with a completed drawing...(0r by extension again, a completed project)
She goes on to say: "I realize this may sound, well, stupid, but it does work...You may find this hard to believe, but the single most difficult problem for art students and even for working artists is getting the work done. One is always fighting the delaying tactics of the verbal system, who's mantra is 'Not now'. At it's most extreme, the result is writer's block or artist's block: a milder version is called procrastination."

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Whenever I have a problem or concern I reminded myself to "Let go and Let God". My version of a "God jar", but I'm thinking a physical jar may have some benefits.