Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

February Journal Quilt Challenge - Love Is A Journey

This month I am exploring the wonders of the Journey that is Love:









Text from back:
This quilt is dedicated to my Life’s Partner, my Best Friend and the Love of my Life, my Dear Husband.


Symbolism on the quilt:
The two paths leading up to the heart are two separate lives merging into one in love. The heart has a sun shining to represent the warmth of love. The beam radiating out of the heart is to show the world that love is flourishing within. The two golden rings at the top represent the marriage state. The sky and the mountains with the field of flowers represent the world that love journeys through.


Construction:
The black frame is made of a single piece of fabric with fusible on the back. After the ‘windows’ were carefully cut out, the ‘glass’ pieces were added – I used Glue-Baste-It to hold the edges under the fusible until I was happy with the fabric choices. Then I fused the frame down onto the window fabrics and carefully lined up the piece according to the registration marks on my original drawing to get it centered correctly, and then the whole piece was fused to the interfacing. I quilted around each of the ‘windows’ and added the back piece. Ink enhancements were added after quilting. Satin stitching around all the edges of the page completes the construction process.

16 comments:

Jules said...

Suze, this is gorgeous. I love all the detail that went into the piece, from the design to the fabric selection. Incredible job.

jenclair said...

I love all of the symbolism you've incorporated into this quilt. Love the way the design complements / inspires the elements of the symbolic journey.

Deb Geyer said...

I, also, like the symbolism that you have used. I can tell a lot of thought went into the planning and sketching.

Good job! It is very nice.

Kim said...

Ditto on the symbolism. When I first saw your sketch I envisioned a different pallette. It would be interesting to see this design done in different "seasons" of love. I especially like the way you document your journey/journal on the back. Inspiring.

Jen said...

It was fun to see your sketch translated into fabric, and I appreciate the detailed process notes. I like the way your forms work together.
This one will always be special because of its meaning. Jen

Sandra said...

Very beautiful artwork. I also love the symbolism and the landscape to show the journey. The back is beautiful also. Great job!

Granny Fran said...

Lovely quilt. You were really successful in constructing your original design into a piece of art. A lot of thought and work went into your design and construction. The flowered and path fabric are wonderful. I particularly like the way you explained the symbolism on the back. The explanation of your construction method is so helpful.

Micki said...

your piece is wonderful. I can only repeat what everyone else has said. I love the symbolism and the stained glass effect. I really like how you did the back, too. great job!

DebbyMc said...

I like how you used the heart idea but not in the usual February way...=-) The print is wonderful here. Your design has a wonderful flow...Great job!
DebbyMc

Jane Ann said...

I think your husband is a very lucky man!

PaigeTurner said...

Just lovely! Very romantic, too!

Anonymous said...

VERY NICE... you did a wonderful job and it's very striking.
Linda

Pam said...

Suze - It's wonderful and what a gift for your husband. So much thought went into every detail.

Marianne said...

Very nice how you're telling a lot with the image, like the echo of the heart shape with the two golden rings, the rays of light etc. I would have never thought to use the fabrics you did like the flower field but that gives it an original touch! I haven't spend any thoughts about the backs of my journals but I see impressive things here. Can you tell me how you did make your 'label' and how you did attach it?

Deb Geyer said...

I like the composition. I like how everything flows together and pulls the eye through the piece. And the colors make it so cheerful.

allie aller said...

You can just feel the love and happiness in your marriage coming through this piece. Makes me feel so good looking at it!!!