Pages

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Ye Olde Oaken Cabinets

One of those chores that owners of oak cabinets face, especially if said cabinets are in the bathroom or the kitchen (I have them in both- what was the builder thinking!) is periodically refinishing the surface of the cabinets since moisture can make them a bit grayish and streaky...I hadn't done mine in a while and they were in sore need! I use a restorer called Howard Restor-a-Finish..you apply it with a pad of fine steel wool, wipe dry then top with orange oil wax...it took me two days, but I finished both bathrooms and the kitchen...owww! my hands are sore! But ye olde oaken cabinets look purty dang good...and I managed to not get any of the stuff in my fingernails. Most of the neighbors have replaced their cabinets (or at least the doors) but I have managed to keep mine looking good enough that I don't see the need to spend all that money to replace them...especially since the Howard stuff is relatively inexpensive and only takes a couple of days for me to do...

3 comments:

Rian said...

Aren't you glad that's done!

Jules said...

We are getting ready to do ours. We are going to prime and paint them. There is too much wood going on in this kitchen.

Jen said...

Congrats on finishing! I keep dithering about whether to refinish or paint...I'm pretty sure my cabinets are older than yours. Who knows the last time they were done...Jen