Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Feb Journal Quilt Progress

Since my Journal Quilt page for February has the front finished, I thought I would share some of the design leading up to the page:
This is the drawing I started out with:



I originally had something totally different in mind, then switched to a drawing my daughter did many years ago, but ditched that as not being original enough. This drawing was an attempt to get something close to Melody Johnson's style, but I realized two very important things as I was making this: 1 - I don't know enough about Melody's style -so I hope I can sign up for her class at the next Road To California, and 2 - I don't have the luscious fabrics she uses so even if I DID come up with a design that's a similar style, its never gonna look even remotely similar because of the fabric...Oh well..I ended up liking what I did do! I decided to make this into a 'stained glass' style, though I did not use the stained glass look fabrics...

This is the second stage where I converted the drawing to a pattern for the black leading for my 'stained glass':


More later! I just need to figure out the wording for my label, print it, fuse it to the back and do the satin stitching around the edge and I am DONE!

12 comments:

Rian said...

This is looking good! Very nice design. Are you going to do the colors ala Ms. Mel? She does do some wonderful colors.

Suze said...

oh my dear, no...my colors are nowhere near Mrs. Mel's palette...I wish I did have some of her gorgeous fabric...I've drooled (heavily) over the tulips and the crusiform series...

Deb Geyer said...

I love the drawing- you can't go wrong with a beginning like that!

PaigeTurner said...

Looks great so far! Can't wait to see the reveal!Beth

Micki said...

what a wonderful design. can't wait to see it finished.

Pam said...

looks great - can't wait to see the finished product. PP

Pat/SWquilter said...

The drawing is lovely - can't wait to see your execution in fabric - are you going to bring it to retreat?!

Suze said...

Yes...the scans are done for posting and its tucked into my traveling case along with January's, ready to head out!

jenclair said...

I like this desighn very much and am looking forward to seeing it "revealed."

Sandra said...

That design has a great flow and I like the one shaft going off the top left. Should be beautiful finished and in color.

Granny Fran said...

Greata drawing, look forward to seeing the finished journal quilt. Thank you for Melody, I love her Blog, Fibermania.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT! Hurry, hurry, I want to see more!
Linda