Pages

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Hair, Hair, Hair

I have had long hair for most of my life...Mama took a picture of me, sans clothes, just wearin' my hair when I was in second grade - hair was down my back to my knees. It got cut a couple of times, mostly still shoulder length except for the time we went to the beauty school on a school field trip and I came back with a 'Twiggy' cut or very short for those of you who don't know who Twiggy was...it was really easy to care for! But..gradually, it got longer again...

It usually gets washed every other day...with hair thickening shampoo and the ends treated to thickening conditioner.

Tuesday I needed to wash the hair....I had to drag my sorry sick butt to the Dr and the hair was icky. I had read a forum post about using just conditioner, no shampoo, for long hair and thought, in my fever-addled condition, that 'what the hey...I could try that'.

So..the technique is to slime up the hair with conditioner making sure its all well-covered with the stuff, wind it up on top of your head and pin or put an old shower cap on...do your other 'stuff' in the shower whilst the conditioner does its 'stuff'...then massage really well - I used my fingernails and gave my scalp a good scratching too - and rinse well for at least 2 to 3 minutes to get all the excess off...

And what do you know...it WORKED as advertised! Hair came out soft, fluffy, not stuck to my head as I expected with just using conditioner and even today, its still lookin' ok. I have to give this technique a good trial, but this first experience quite amazed me. I think the tricks are that you have to let it set and you have to rinse, rinse, rinse...

PS...the Doc has no idea what I have...took a throat culture in case its strep (but I haven't had a high fever), put me on antibiotics 'just in case', gave me a pill to stop the coughing but whose major side effect is to cause stuffy, runny noses, a pill to stop the runny nose, and an invitation to attend a session at the lab with the vampire...24 hours later and I still have a sore throat, but the cough is pretty well suppressed. And I still feel like ... well, use yer imagination!

4 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

A long time ago--also when my hair was long and my time was short and I had misjudged how dirty it would be in the morning, I used to use baby powder sprinkled through it and then combed out. The baby powder took the oil out with it when combed. Worked in a pinch.

Have you ever tried short hair? I wouldn't go back to long hair now for anything. I wash, towel dry and am out the door.

Anonymous said...

I'm no chemist, but my understanding is that soap "works" by making water wetter. Anything slick ought to slide grime right off, I suppose, so maybe you're on to something. Good info to have when you realize you left the shampoo at home just after stepping into the hotel shower (although most hotels provide toiletries these days).

Sorry you're puny. The $185 in drugs 2 weeks ago is only now taking hold with me. There's some head-thing/moving-on-to-the-chest going around my part of Tennessee right now--they even closed schools in some counties. Maybe it migrated to CA. Lousy weekend to be sick. I think one of my daughters fell victim yesterday.

Rian said...

Hair hair now. Get well soon! I hope the antibiotics kick in soon and you are feeling in the pink again soon!

jenclair said...

Oooo. I'm going to try this. I've had very short and very long hair and find very long easy as all I do is braid it anyway.