Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Road To California 2011 - Day One

Just got back from my Scavenger Art Quilt class...it was really enjoyable and the teacher (Terry Waldron) was great.


My scavenged pieces for this quilt are the green ribbon on the left, the crocheted doily behind the cup of tea and the doily in the saucer (which was a plastic-y paper that was wrapped around one of the pots of flowers that I got in the hospital)..I used decorator fabric that I got free from the Fullerton Civic Light Opera (they had huge bundles of fabric scraps in plastic bags in front of their office - I was fortunate that one of the guys in my office mentioned the bags were there) to make the sunflowers, a piece of trim is the tea bag label and the teacher handed out a baggie of trims that had the green stems for the sunflowers..

There is an inspirational quote on the quilt as well - reads:
"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out." Ray Bradbury

The pot for the flowers is a wee bit dark in the photo..its really much brighter in real life..but I may have to change out the brown behind it.. The cup I added last and its not quite really done yet..but you get the idea..

I only went into the vendor mall for a few minutes..got a couple of sample pieces of wool batting...and a couple of green fat quarters that I thought might make good leaves but ended up not using..but since they are batiks..they will get used somewhere!! There is this lady selling trims and buttons that I want to investigate a bit more tomorrow..She's selling hanks of stuff - $18 for a dozen hanks...

Got to see the quilts last night when I picked up my badge..some really wonderful quilts..the best of show was won by one of my teachers at Road 2010. best pictorial was won by the teacher I will have on Saturday..best painted surface was won by one of my teachers from Road 2010.. a lot of this year's quilts are definitely art pieces as they are quilted to 'board stiff'..but they are beautiful..

It's warm and clear and a bit windy...wearing short sleeves for most of the day!

1 comment:

Debra said...

So pretty Suze! It's going to be beautiful when finished. Good luck on your progress....Debra in Ma.