Saturday, September 10, 2011

Folded and Spindled


Today I joined in the fun with Planet Patchwork's Wonderful One Day Mystery - Merry Mayhem Presents Case #13: Fold and Spindle

I used some fabric that I had pulled for a table runner back in 2003..and had never gotten around to making the table runner (it was in PIGZ status ALL that time!)...and I sewed on Aurora..


After part 3


After part 4


After part 5


After part 6


TA DAH! Done...first project finished using Aurora! I really liked using the treadle for this project. I didn't annoy her too much (trying to sew backwards..she breaks the thread when you do that!) I got a lot of exercising done!



Did this with a small group of ladies on the Forum. It was fun seeing them come together!

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Opps...I did it again!

well..I was looking at Craigslist..and saw a picture of this cute little lonely sewing machine and I just HAD to go look at her...and she followed me home...

Meet Borealis...Aurora's Little Sister...
Borealis

She is 3/4 the size of Aurora...a Singer 99...She has a few flaws...the slide plate is missing, the hood to the light is missing, the key to the case is missing (but you can open it with a small screwdriver), the knee lever is missing.. and the case needs a good restore...Oh...and no accessories..

I intend on getting rid of the motor and turning her into a hand crank...hopefully I can separate out the light fixture from the motor..

But..overall, she needs less restoring than Aurora did..I think she has been locked up in her case for almost ever! She needs to come out and play!

Haven't checked her serial number to find out when she was made..Will get to play with her more on Thursday afternoon or Friday..

Monday, September 05, 2011

Driving Miss Aurora...

I got out some pre-cut patches of fabric today and sat down at Aurora...

On the seam on the third patch, I managed to get a piece of thread caught around the oscillating hook...eppp..Aurora came to a dead stop...OH NO...now what?  I ended up taking the needle plate and the slide off to see better - could see both ends of the thread but tugging on either end got nowhere...dribbled a little Liquid Wrench on the thread and that worked its magic and I was able to get the needle to move just a wee bit..allowing the thread to be pulled out..WHEW!!! Back to sewing!

Here are the first 4-patch blocks I made..


The fabric for the 4 patches being exhausted (I got 7 of those 4 patch blocks out of the stack of squares), I used some other pre-cut patches that I bought at a thrift store..fabric quality is not really high (I suspect most of these patches were 'salvaged' materials like old shirts or skirts)..and started making HSTs...


Don't quite know what I am making yet, though..

I am getting the hang of starting the treadle going forward (sometimes without using the hand wheel!), but small patches are a bit of a bother, since you have to stop so soon after you 'get going'.  I am loving it though...very cool to be using my feet to generate the power...

A perfect Labor Day activity...

Sunday, September 04, 2011

The Saga of the Tooth

Back in February, I had a tooth that went bad..it had been crowned over a root canal, but decay set in under the crown and it was time to remove the poor thing...Options were either a bridge with two new crowns on the adjoining teeth..or an implant...


I asked around and the consensus was the bridge is a PITA to keep clean..and that I might be happier with the implant..

I opted for the implant...and went to the periodontist associated with my dental office..from the information given, I knew there was some risk of numbness especially if the nerve canal was breached..and that the numbness typically can last from 3 - 6 months or more..

The periodontist pulled the bad tooth and  placed the stem/screw piece of the implant...and I went home..the lidocane wore off..but my jaw stayed numb..Periodontist looked at the x-ray and said the stem is not into the nerve canal so he had no idea why my jaw was still numb...but to be on the safe side, he took the implant stem back out... and filled the hole with bone material..and said to give that a few more months and we can try again..my jaw meanwhile still was numb, but the numbness was getting less and less..

So..in July, I had the implant stem put back in..a shorter, stubbier, plumper version... and thankfully, the numbness in my jaw did not get any worse..it was however, a good bit more painful than the first stem placement. I discovered that cutting Percoset's in half and taking half every 4 hours was way better than taking a whole Percoset every 8 hours..

Its six weeks later..and my jaw still is a wee, wee bit numb..but I can see there is light at the end of the tunnel..

I get the abutment put on in October and the measurements for the new crown in November..and by Christmas I will have a full set of choppers again!


And hopefully, full feeling back! Oh that will be nice...