Thursday, June 30, 2016

HST Column Quilt

The HST Column quilt as a top:


Finished quilt: (sorry the color is bad - my normal snap camera is trying to die....and I used the cell phone camera instead..yuk!)



When I showed the top to my Mom, she thought if would make a marvelous summer lap quilt...so I finished it for her - just backed it with one of the remaining bigger pieces of fabric scraps and folded the edge to the front instead of binding.. I did try the quilting in the 'column' part to see if using a different color of thread would make the column stand out a bit more...the result of that experiment: it really wasn't worth it..it would require a way more dense quilting than I had the patience for to get it to change color...best option if you want the column to be noticeable...make those HSTs with a different color!

Here is a closer up picture:


But...Mom likes it and it will serve a useful purpose..and now all three of us have a quilt made out of those dress scraps from long ago.


Sunday, June 05, 2016

Embellished Antique Linen

I saw a piece on Kelly Cline's blog that intrigued me.... http://www.kellyclinequilting.com/2016/04/frame-a-quilted-hankie/

Hum...I have an antique linen piece - I think it was an antimacassar  - one of those linen pieces ladies used to put on furniture to protect the places where human skin  or hair would hit the upholstery to reduce the damage to a replaceable piece...perfect!

I soaked it in Terial Magic and arranged the cotton lace - it was badly scrunched! The Terial Magic made it stiff enough to embroider without a hoop. Note there is some damage on this piece (it adds 'character'!) - I glued the broken threads down with OkToWashIt glue..not that I ever intend to actually WASH this piece!



I embroidered the center - making sure to cover up that hole with the big pink rose! I used the silk ribbons I got from Kathy at Retreat (she decided to give up all her beads and threads - a couple of other ladies at the Retreat and I split up the booty! Whoohoo!) Antique linen is pretty fragile...I almost wrecked the piece a couple of times - but manged to hide the boo-boos!



Wool batting, two layers of  plain teal fabric from the donation table at Retreat and I was off and running...



Added some antique lace around the edge and buttons from my Grandmother's stash...et voila'!



I usually name my pieces something more exciting than 'Embellished Antique Linen'...but I have no ideas on what would be better for this piece.