Pages

Saturday, February 02, 2019

Butterfly Quiltlet Done

I finished off stitching the butterfly and its background during the week. My foot for FM is not as good as the one on the Bernina that I was using at Road, but I made do...Cut out the butterfly from the background and soaked off the Solvy and the interfacing..Soaked off the Solvy on the background piece too.

Here is what they looked like before I got to work on them yesterday:

 Now...if I were making something that looked like the teachers - this is where I would have started quilting. For reference...this is Nancy's butterfly:


But...I am ornery and thought that the thread sketching should have color and so..I got out my Inktense pencils and colored away! Here's what it looked like when I was done coloring - before quilting:



I added wool batting..probably should have picked a thinner batting..but I wanted the puff in the flower and leaves - it almost is like trapunto.. Was going to bring the green backing to the front but...that just did not want to work..so I cut the green off and it was just long enough to make a binding. My poor hopping foot got stuck when I was stitching the butterfly to the base and partially cracked - it probably can be repaired with plastic glue...but for now..its out of commission...sigh...

Here is the finished piece:

I like it!


No comments: