Pages

Friday, December 23, 2022

Spinning Stars

This is one of my oldest handwork projects (there are still a couple more though!)

I started this after seeing a picture of a Spinning Star quilt in the class roster for Road To CA. I didn't take the class since something else was scheduled at the same time that I wanted to take more. But I copied out the picture for inspiration. 

It's gotten quite wrinkled over the years!

When I got to Retreat that year, one of the other ladies just happened to be working on a Spinning Star quilt...I found out where she got the template for the block, printed out the pattern and made a cutting template from template plastic when I got home. 

The idea that the Spinning Star could be seen as a flower with green leaves around it appealed to me. So, I gathered up some scraps and commended cutting. I found out really quickly the template only goes ONE direction to nest properly. I have a bunch of miss-cuts in my scrap bags,


This was in one of my Go bags for years. I only worked on it when I was out of the house until just recently when I decided it was time to finish 'er up!

It been backed with green fleece and bagged out and is waiting it's turn to be quilted. Not sure if it will get hand quilted or if I will do it by machine - probably by machine - the fleece backing is kind of odd to needle. Thinking of adding some French knots to the center of the flowers.


In hindsight, I probably should have gone with ONE green fabric for the leaves. But, I kinda like how the miscellaneous greens look too. The whole table mat is all scraps from my scrap bags.

No comments: