Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Fruits and Vegetables



This is a hexie piece that I worked on most of the spring and summer in 2019. In October, I started putting it together. It will be a table runner when it gets done. The main body is done, but it needs...something...
I thought about appliqueing it to a couple of yellow linen placemats. May still do that. It is waiting to be finished.

I started out glue basting the pieces, but ran out of glue when I was staying at my parents. I remembered on of the gals from Retreat uses a thread basting technique where you leave the basting in when you take the paper hexie pieces out... so I tried that and discovered I like that method much better than the glue. 

The hexies were put together using the 'flat back' stitch. Nothing shows on the right side of the seam so it looks very elegant. 

The 'fruits' part of the fabrics were from one of the Quilter's Runs in the last few years. I got a packet of 2.5 inch squares stuff with these yummy fruit fabrics. The oranges are the centers of the flowers. The other fruits, apples, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries are the petals on the hexie flowers. The leaves are veggie prints I have collected over the years. I used three different greens.



In October I went to Texas for work. It was interesting to meet team members who were mostly just voices up to that point. We stayed in a very nice hotel and my boss, who has club privileges, let me join her for dinner and breakfast..and the food was very tasty! We had dinner one night at an Indian food place. I got 'gajar halwa' which is a very tasty carrot pudding...YUM!


No comments: