Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Road To CA 2019 - Day 1 - Double Gauze Class

Road to CA 2019

I colored my tote bag from last year...it was just begging for inking!


Day 1...Day dawned bright and WINDY!
This class was making a T-Shirt out of Double Gauze...a very interesting, lightweight and almost airy fabric...
My three friends that go on the Quilter Run also were in class so it was a fun day for all of us!

First we had to cut out the pattern...deciding what size was a major dilemma for me! I brought a t-shirt that fits to try to get a sense of how the sizing went..but finally just matched my measurements up to the package..one of the ladies at our table said sometimes she doesn't follow all the exact lines and so that gave me the idea to grade it to a larger size on the bottom since I detest shirts that hug my posterior! So I went maverick!! Turns out I probably could have gone a size down on the shoulder and sleeves.

My back was hurting quite a lot, so at the suggestion of this same gal, I moved my cutting board over to the ironing board so I did not have to lean over the table.

I had made a mat board tote bag a few weeks ago for my new folding mat. Its built on Peltex - a double sided stiff interfacing...
That worked out well!
After we cut out the pieces, we first sewed the seam on our domestics, then went to one of the sergers that was set up in the back of the room..might have been nicer to have twice as many, but...we all did get to use them.
We got done with the shirts so fast - even though double gauze is a squirrely fabric and wants to slide all over the place -  we were done right after lunch. Some of the gals bought Infinity Scarf kits from the teacher...but...I was looking at my leftovers and with just an extra seam, I figured I could do on from the scraps..so I did...
It felt GOOD to walk out of the classroom with TWO completed projects - WHOOHOO!! (that doesn't happen very often!) 





No comments: