Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Road to Ca 2019 - Day 6 - Thread Painting and Thread Sketching

Instructor for this class is world famous Nancy Prince - and she is a wonderful instructor!
Taking this class was on my Quilter's Bucket List!

I don't know if I have ever had as good a teacher as Nancy..terrific class..and I learned so much!
Here is her butterfly on the quilt...she had us take one with our phones for reference...

She shows each step of the process using an overhead projection of what she is doing on the machine...so much nicer than crowding around a machine and barely getting to see what the teacher is doing...She gave us reasons for why she does each step the way she does and then had us do our own!
 
Here is what I finished in class for the thread painting part of the class. Just have a few more white areas to finish and the top yellow-gold area..I kinda think he needs a second wing (though I have seen plenty of pictures of Monarchs with their wings folded together like this)...so I may add the second wing (makes mine different than the teacher's!) and I think I need to tone the red down to a burnt orange..and the bottom part needs another pass or two with the lighter yellow or maybe a light gold...and it needs some more shading...Thread painting is like coloring books...you have to blend the thread by layers... many layers! All of her thread paintings are done the same way we did in class...off the quilt and only attached after the quilt is quilted, bound and has its label on! She uses a stencil cutter to singe away the edges of the bridal tulle that supports the stitching - not having one of those, I will have to carefully clip the pieces of netting away... I have almost no distortion in mine - just a wee bit near the top of the wing.


And here is what I got done for the thread sketching part of the class - just have to finish the one butterfly in the top left corner....now..I am thinking I am going to use the Inktense pencils and color in the objects... The lines look darker than they will after I wash the Solvy off - if you look at the bottom where I traveled from one spot to another without lines, that is the real color...because the design was printed on Solvy with an inkjet printer, the thread just looks darker..

I finished off this year's show with a massage..(I get one every year...they are so soothing to aching backs!)

1 comment:

Sewing Up A Storm said...

Your butterfly looks as good as the instructors! Looks like it was a very fun class and bet you can use this new skill to make all sorts of beautiful additions to your quilts.