Pages

Sunday, January 03, 2021

In Memorium

My Daddy passed away yesterday...my Mama is not expected to last more than another day. Theirs was a long and happy marriage - they married in 1952.  Unfortunately, COVID paid a visit to their house and they could not fight it off. 

Sis came down with symptoms first, got a COVID rapid response test and it lit up almost immediately. Sis was Mama and Daddy's primary caretaker. When COVID hit, she restricted the number of folks coming in to the house, but unfortunately, something got thru her gauntlet and infected first her, then my parents. Since both parents were on hospice care, there were a bunch of medical folks that came to assess and help with their care. They also had a caretaker come in for a few hours so if Sis had to do something out of the house, she scheduled it during that time. Sis did not actually go anywhere around any people since March when the first quarantine hit - mostly she drove her car for a few miles to keep the battery charged. What was the source of infection? We will probably never know. Not one of the medical staff seemed ill nor was reported to be later out with COVID.

Sis was still trying to care for my parents with a serious case of COVID - she had a bad headache, fever, body aches and stabbing sensations...and almost passed out every time she had to get up to care for either of them. The final straw was when the caretaker got COVID, leaving Sis to mange by herself. Her daughter came to help and we hope she does not come down with COVID. I would have tried to help out but I have back issues that would not let me shift either parent, I am immunocompromised and in the age range where bad COVID stuff is harder to fight off.

Their passing is not unexpected - they were over 90 and in poor enough health to be on hospice. It's just sad that this virus did them in. 

I owe a lot to my parents, not just for giving me life and a happy childhood, but for many other things, tangible and intangible. They gave me the best sister.

My Daddy made me many tools for my sewing room. Mama gave me the love of sewing and designing. They always encouraged my sewing endeavors and were genuinely impressed by my quilts.

Me as a baby with Mama and Daddy

I will miss them. A lot. My heart is broken at this point.



1 comment:

Sewing Up A Storm said...

Suze I am so sorry that you lost your Daddy and soon your Mama. I do hope your sister gets better from the awful monster of the Covid soon. I have been doing a lot of praying for all of you.