Pages

Sunday, December 20, 2020

2020 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge - Day Twenty - Proudest Achievement

This isn't so much just my achievement, but a collaboration between my Dad and me.

One day as I was trimming up a bunch of blocks, I wondered if there was a way to do the setup to trimming easier.

So I contacted my Dad and described what I wanted to make, and he made it for me. I named it a 'SquareUp'. First one he did out of plastic which was ok, but the pressure handle was kind of strange. The second one he made was out of wood and has a hand hold slot cut out so I could take it to class. We briefly thought about trying to sell these, but unless you were going to have them made in China in vast quantities, the price to produce one is prohibitive! So, I have the only two in existence! 

The arm folds up flat against the base. The cutting surface can rotate (or not, depending on how you set the levers) - it can go in one direction or in all directions!  

One year at Retreat, I picked up a set of plexiglass squares with a hole in one side for a ball chain. Those work well as the cutting edge.

This is how you line up a block. The arm puts pressure against the plexiglass holding the fabric - the dial on the top of the arm lets you put more fabric under the cutting form, if you wanted to cut multiples. You just have to whack off what sticks out!


Here is a block after trimming...

And a stack of trimmed vs untrimmed blocks!


My Dad and I work well together. He has made other items for my sewing room as well.. my Big Board ironing surface that fits over my ironing board, a collapsible hand quilting hoop and an extension table for my sewing machine for taking to class, Retreat and craft days. He unfortunately cannot do building projects anymore so I am very grateful to have these items.


Link to the Muppin Blog Writing Challenge

No comments: