Pages

Saturday, December 05, 2020

2020 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge - Day Five - First Project (Sort Of!)

 The prompt for today is First Project but we already learned about the project that turned me into a quilter and the second project is my oldest UFO (that is tomorrow's prompt). So I will tell you about one of my quilts that I have not fully covered already on this blog.

Susan Magnolia

This started as an ink painting in a class from Patt Blair at Road To California. Most of the class made their magnolias the same color as Patt's sample, but I happen to love Susan magnolias and they are pink! The final picture shows the pink better - its really a bit darker than the first picture shows. I love how it turned out.

Here is as far as I got in the class:



I took the unfinished inking to Retreat that year. Here is what it looked like during the Retreat - with my start of 'Cape Blanco Light' in the background.- that was a different class with Kathy McNeil - before the Apliquick tools were invented! I think it might be a completely different class if I were to take it now. I have promised myself  - I.WILL.FINISH.THIS.QUILT!



I finished the background before I left Retreat but don't have any pictures of just the top. Found some really well matching fabrics to make the borders and binding in my stash. I hand quilted this with MonoPoly - including the stippling - which I had never tried by hand before, much less in MonoPoly - kept finding spots that had loops, though I swear I tried to look for those AS I was quilting! (MonoPoly is so clear it is hard to see.) A quick snip with the scissors and bury the tails if the loop were big, otherwise just bury the loop - I invested in a couple of those quick-thread - or - self-threading needles which made short work of the loops. The batting is wool - my favorite batting for hand quilting - the needle goes thru the wool like a hot knife goes thru buttah - just sayin'.


This quilt hangs on the wall in my living room.

Link to the Muppin Blog Writing Challenge

No comments: