Pages

Sunday, December 06, 2020

2020 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge - Day Six - Oldest UFO

My oldest quilting UFO....is missing! I went looking for it yesterday. Its been in time-out for so long, it probably is in a time-out of the time-out.

Anyway - I will describe it. 

Hot off my successful completion of my first quilt, I thought I would jump right in to designing my 'own' quilt. Such is the hutzpah of a beginning quilter!  So I got some grid paper, drew some lines, dug around in my fabric stash which at that point was fashion design stuff and home décor stuff, found some fabrics that I thought would do and proceeded to whomp up Quilt #2. A Christmas Tree and a Star with Snow. I have the design somewhere but that would probably be buried in my quilting room somewhere too. I tried to recreate the design. All half square triangles and squares,

Kind of stiff green home décor fabric for the tree. Blue stuff for the sky, brown stuff for the tree trunk. Yellow perma press for the star and white sheet material for the snow.  A wee green border of the home décor fabric with red cornerstones. At least...that is my recollection. Might turn out to be different when I see the actual errant top. But I do remember the green stuff as being pretty stiff!

All in all, a rather dismal quilt, though I think with the right quilting, and maybe adding something (what though?) under the star, it could be ok. My Sis said she liked it and if I ever wanted to give it away, to give it to her. The star is WAY too big, but I just had a thought about appliqueing a smaller darker yellow star in the center to see if the brighter yellow would be perceived as a halo. Eh. Hope I remember this when I do unearth this odd quilt.

I do have OTHER projects that are long term UFOs besides Quilt#2.

For hand quilting, its this project: there are 4 panels that I thought I would connect. But..I've lost interest in finishing them.


One of the longest term hand piecing project UFOs is a pattern from my friend Marcia Hohn's Quilter's Cache website called Prairie Flower. The date of copyright on that pattern is when I started making these blocks - Feb 22, 2004. Marcia published that pattern and I jumped on it! I had just gotten several purple and green Fat Quarter packs from WalMart and I had some sparkly white fabric for the background. I envisioned quilting in silver so I have several spools of silver thread in the project bag. I still really love these colors. Gotta work on this project. It deserves to be finished. Most of the finished blocks were done when we were on the very first So Cal Quilter's Run that my quilting buddies and I went on in 2004.



And I still have a pre-Quilting UFO. This fabric (and a white t-shirt that I was supposed to affix the motifs onto) are still in a project bag.


Still like the fabric. Not sure I want to put it on the t-shirt anymore though! Might be time to put the fabric into the regular stash and see what it becomes in a quilt. Could be a great Broderie Pierce project.


Link to the Muppin Blog Writing Challenge

No comments: