Pages

Saturday, December 19, 2020

2020 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge - Day Nineteen - On My Design Wall

 

This is what is on my design board at the moment. The astute viewer will note the poppies are actually from the Martha Nordstrand class from eons ago. I got this notion a few nights ago and took the poppies off the wall to see if I would like them in this bowl and I really do! They have been waiting for a long time to get into a quilt! 


 Most of the rest of the design came from a class from Diane Kirkart - her pattern is called 'For Anne' and looks like this:


First change...didn't care for the black background...so mine is a mottled tan. and I cut out the hundred or so pieces of fabric for the ferns, but I just did not want to make that many of the same thing over and over (the same issue I have with patchwork!)  So my bowl of flowers is a bit different than the pattern. The flower units are mostly the same, but arranged differently. The picture on mine is a bit foreshortened because not all of it is pinned to the board and I am hesitant to try to prop it up until I am sure the elements are not going to fall off! 

I am going to stick the appliques to the background with GlueBasteIt hopefully in a few days so I can work on it over the Christmas break. It will need some embroidery - the stamens on the amaryllis and the center on the big poppy and maybe some lines on the bowl. And I might add a butterfly or two... and I still think I need to darken the pink on the amaryllis a bit more...and the pears could use a bit of shaping with yellow.


Link to the Muppin Blog Writing Challenge

1 comment:

Sewing Up A Storm said...

Your applique flower bowl is going to be really pretty. Applique is my favorite kind of handwork.